While counteroffers may be tempting and even flattering, there can be pitfalls that you need to be aware of. Ask yourself these questions:
- Will your loyalty always be in question?
- If there are future cutbacks, will you be the first to go because of concerns about your loyalty?
- If you accept the counteroffer for more money, are you just giving your employer the time they need to locate and select your replacement?
- Will your career track remain blocked if you accept it?
- Will your responsibilities be expanded?
- Will you have to report to a person you don´t respect?
- Will you receive next year´s raise or bonus early?
- Is the counteroffer a ploy to avoid a short-term inconvenience by your employer?
- What are your realistic chances for promotions now that you have considered leaving?
As attractive as counteroffers may appear, they can greatly decrease your chances of achieving your career potential.